Saturday, October 18, 2008

where to start?

In the late 60's I went deeper into my already divergent interests in Eastern Mysticism and Philosophy. I managed to loose a job in the "stock market crash" of the late 60's early 70's ( there is nothing new under the sun) and was living on unemployment. All of my spare time which was all the time I had that I wasn't sleeping was spent reading, going to lectures and following various "teachings" of the Guru types from India. None of this was full on devotee - but trying to figure out what the truth was about Life, the universe and everything (question of deep thought in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy). Of course that is hindsight. I was more along the lines of the reality of God, truth and light. How to live my life and how to make a living in this world without violating too many eternal laws. How noble I was in my ignorance.



Meanwhile I was 22 years old and had just made a road trip around the western US with my girlfriend - visiting communes, mystics and various others found along the path that drifted our way. None of these encounters rang a bell on the direction I should go - so back to Hollywood and figure out what to do while I'm collecting my unemployment before it runs out. I could always work - but why?



I had been living with an attorney in '69. We had a great relationship except for a couple of things. #1 I was 20 - he was 40. #2 He had children - a daughter 3 years younger than I, a 2 year old he wanted to spend every weekend with - still in diapers, still needing to be taken care of, etc., etc. #3 With this young child came an X-wife who was determined to make my life unpleasant. The daughter lived with us and had a dog that didn't like to be left alone and when left, thought the best revenge was eating my very expensive shoes. She also thought that when she made food for herself and boyfriend it was O.K. to leave the dishes around so that when I got home from work I had to clean their mess before I could start my dinner. Remember I was 20 and my assertive "get the F*ck out of my face attitude hadn't developed AT ALL. I just seethed and groused to myself - getting more and more unhappy. I thought I could live in my own apt and continue the relationship but alas this didn't work well at all. In the meantime I managed to get into 2 rear-ender accidents -in one another guy was driving my car and the other was stopped at a red light & hit by a yellow cab. Since this was a Karmen Ghia the damage and forward thrust (whiplash) is more than you would think - Shows up on Xrays today. Anyway - it was nice have an attorney for a boyfriend as he was able to settle the cases quickly and I ended up with some cash. What does "God" have in mind for me for this cash? I will continue next post with what came about with that question.

No comments: